Tuesday, September 27, 2011

When You are Apple Obsessed

Autumn is my favorite time of the year. I love everything about it. Especially apples. Making applesauce, apple butter, apple crisp and apple pies are a tradition.

I am able to keep my apple fetish alive by buying them at our local orchard. The key is to buy “seconds”.

Does it look like anything is wrong with this apple?100_5909

Nope. Nothing. It is a “second” although I’m not sure why it qualifies. Sometimes they are bruised or spotted. However, they still taste great.

100_5905I bought this whole box for $3.00. The seconds at my orchard cost $4.00 for a 1/2 bushel. (I think I got a discount).

If you are going to need several bushels for applesauce, I suggest calling your local orchard and ordering ahead. Your apples will keep in a cool dry place for a week or two. If there are any “bad” or bruised apples, pick them out of the box. They will make the other apples go “bad” quicker too.

The later in the season, the more “secondy” the “seconds” are. I am sure you are not like me and procrastinate. every. single. year. This year I vow to change. Just talking about apples makes me hungry.

So go for the seconds. It is hard to beat that in price. Unless you are lucky enough to pick them off your backyard tree. Then go do that.

Do you have any apple tips to share?

I am linking up with Women Living Well Wednesday’s…. hop on over there for inspiration!

4 comments:

  1. I love apples too! We have a tradition of going apple picking with friends every year. We started when our oldest boys were about 2 years old. Now they are 8. Fun times!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know about "seconds". We are hoping to take the kids apple picking this weekend at our local orchard, so I will be asking about them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome deal you got!

    I love baking with apples in the fall. I'm making a fresh apple cake this afternoon.

    Have you tried drying apples? They taste yummy and are a good snack for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard somewhere that they can't sell the apples at normal price if they fall to the ground. So, if that is actually correct, that is why some seconds look completely fine. We are completely spoiled because Cory's dad keeps us stocked with his applesauce. You would be so proud of him - when he worked at Agway years ago, he "saved" 2 apple trees that were left for dead and were ready to be thrown out. Now they are happy in his backyard and giving him a huge bounty each year. He gives us his applesauce frozen, and my kids like it only partially thawed and call it "frozen applesauce"! A very healthy alternative to Italian Ice!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts...I really would! Share your thoughts or personal frugal tips. I have so much to learn from you! But please, be kind.