Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A tip for purchasing meat for less

Meat (chicken, beef, sausage, ham, ect) can be one of the most costly items in your grocery cart.  If you are trying to lower your bill, this can be one of your first areas to target.

On my recent shopping trip to Weis, I picked up 2 packages of meat I was not planning to purchase. Each time I am at Weis, I scan all of the meat and chicken.  As you are searching, you will find giant stickers on many of the packages that say $1.00 off today.  These discounts will be between $1.00 and $3.00 off.  By doing this, I have purchased lean ground turkey (one of our favorites) on several occasions for only $1.00 per/lb!!

The reason the meat is discounted is because it is approaching its sell by date. 

Please note that the meat is not out dated!!  They will start to discount it about 3 days before the date and heavily discount it 1 day before the date on the package.  

Also of note, this is the sell by date, not the use by date.  There is a difference between the two.

Just pop it in the freezer as soon as you get home.

This past trip I bought italian sausage.  It was originally $4.41 for a 1.34/lb package.  The $1.50 discount made it only $2.91.  My cost per pound was now only $2.17. 

I also snagged 2 boneless NY strip steaks.  This will just be for my husband and I.  The steaks were originally $15.18.  They were on sale which made them only $14.35.  Plus each package had a $3 discount sticker.  This made the steaks only $8.35. 

Grilled boneless NY strips steaks will be something we make for our "date night".  You can't beat that for only $8.35!

When I shopped at Giant, I could never find these deals.  You could ask your grocery store meat department how and when they mark down thier meat.  I have seemed to land the best deals at Weis in the morning. 

Obviously, this is not the only way to purchase meat.  I only pick up a few items a month this way, but every little bit helps!

2 comments:

  1. I find great discounts on meat at Giant in the Nature's Own section - often can get organic, hormone-free chicken, beef and pork for 2-3 dollars off...not much in the regular case, but in that case, there is often a deal or two to be grabbed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Frugal Flamingo tutor has taught me how to save hundreds in meat! I buy our meet almost exclusively this way, plus bogo's now. Then I do menu planning based on what is in my freezer. Thanks for all of your great tips!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts...I really would! Share your thoughts or personal frugal tips. I have so much to learn from you! But please, be kind.