Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Stocking up on Snacks

Forgive me for a completely text based post. I have no time to take pictures.  This post is really for the “local folks”.  Today I ventured to my somewhat local food salvage store.   With summer here, I suspect it will be quite awhile until I go back again.

If I had time to take pictures each week of my groceries, you would notice that I do not buy much in the way of snacks.  I make a lot of my snacks and “junk” food. 

I also buy snacks at D & K (our food salvage store).  I spent more than I wanted to this week.  However, I bought a lot of snacks that will last us through the summer.  Or at least a good chunk of it.  I hope. 

We spend a lot of time at the pool each summer.  I was purposely on the hunt for treats to eat there.  We rarely ever buy anything at the snack bar.

At D&K right now, there are a lot of buy 2 bags for $1.  I bought a lot of bags of baked veggie chips and baked pita chips.  While not entirely “healthy”, it is a better option than Doritos.  If my crew can munch on something for 50 cents, I’m a happy camper.  Or a swimmer in this case.

I also found boxes of Jello pudding pops for 99 cents.  I can give my kiddos a popsicle for 3 days on one box.  This is only 33 cents per day.  Oh and the ice cream cake I bought for $5.99.  Not entirely frugal.  Ok not frugal at all.  However, good gravy is that a fun treat to pull out in the heat of the summer.  Surely will get your mom of the year award.

I do not condone junk food.  However, we have one “fun” snack per day.  It is our afternoon tradition.  Family traditions are important so it’s all good. 

Happy summer snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts...I really would! Share your thoughts or personal frugal tips. I have so much to learn from you! But please, be kind.