Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

Today is Valentine's Day!  It is such a memorable day for me. Last year, I shared "our story" on my other blog.

I will be honest in that we really don't go crazy around here.  The hubby and I were able to enjoy an impromptu evening out on Friday night.  We view that as our Valentine's celebration. 

My husband used to shower me on Valentine's Day, but he knows that it drives me crazy to know how much he paid for flowers that he could get on discount next week.   So each year, I ask him not to buy me anything.  Hopefully, he will actually comply this year.

As I chatted with a friend this morning, she encouraged me to write this post.  Why?  Because so often frugality can blur other parts of your life. As I shared before, saving money can easily become an idol. Yes, sacrifice is involved and things must be given up.  However, there are times when frugality must be placed to the side.

Today is one of those days.  I  know how much my husband  loves a good ol' pot roast. He would eat pot roast every other night.  However, he knows that this is not on my list of frugal meals.   I often explain to him how meat as a main dish is pure lavishness.

So, this morning I stopped at the grocery store to buy a big juicy pot roast for dinner.  Why?  Because I love my husband and this is a way I can say, "hey...your still the hot guy I love".  Not just because it is his favorite meal, but because he knows that I am putting aside something important to me (eating healthily and cheaply) for him. 

I do not reserve pot roasts just for Valentine's day.  I fully believe in serving meals I know my husband loves throughout the month no matter what the cost.  Though today is about an extra dose of love because he knows how excited I am to use my dirt cheap turkey.

I just want to encourage you to find little ways to honor and love your husband.  Not just on Valentine's Day but throughout the year.  If  your frugal cooking and living is driving a wedge between the two of you, step back for a little.

If he wants you to cook more cheaply and you don't want to?  Then make him a big ol' pot of black bean soup tonight (which is yummy by the way) and tell him how much it cost.  It is honoring him on the other side of the spectrum.

This is not a marriage blog.  However, I have a small platform and I want to use it to encourage you.  Marriage is hard. Yet, it is a beautiful gift that we sometimes take for granted. 

Whether it be through beans or a pot roast, honor your guy this week.

2 comments:

  1. This is great because hubby called me on Friday and asked if I would pick up pizza...said he had really been craving it! I told him I didn't want to spend the money...so for Vday..I got pizza!! It's the small things.... :)
    Hope he enjoyed his pot roast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DH and I agreed, a few years back, that we would start celebrating V-day sometime in the week following V-day. I love the flowers and the chocolates, but it irks me too that everything is so expensive the day before and so cheap the day after. Since we love each other just as much 2 days after V-day, we can celebrate then too; makes no difference to us!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts...I really would! Share your thoughts or personal frugal tips. I have so much to learn from you! But please, be kind.