Right within your own refrigerator is a way to save significant money on groceries. It is the ever dreaded “L” word. The leftover.
I know in our house there are some leftovers that get gobbled up quickly. I also know there are leftovers that are just…left. Left with hopeful anticipation that someone will claim it to eat. However, we all know that for some leftovers it is just wishful thinking.
Imagine how you would feel to be a lowly porkchop. Seriously, what kind of leftover love are you really going to feel?
I have become pretty intuitive on which leftover foods will go to waste in our house. The 1 lowly porkchop? Yep. That is as good as not eaten. The handful of broccoli that is barely enough for one person? The cup of rice? The 1 bowl of soup left for 2 days?![]()
Wisdom uses the past as an indication of the future. So, before I enter the item into the refrigerator blackhole, I think back to if anyone has ever eaten this as a leftover before. Then, I get proactive.
The 1st way to be proactive is to think of how you could use the food in a future meal that week. Last week we had baked sweet potatoes one night. Two nights later, we had baked sweet potato casserole.
I have leftover rice in the refrigerator, so tonight we are having fried rice.
Leftover ham or chicken? Why not use it to make chicken salad or ham salad sandwiches for lunch or dinner?
Your other option is toss it. In the freezer that is. My freezers are always full. Partly due to leftover rescue.
The lowly porkchop? Found that in the freezer. Perfect for tonight’s fried rice.
Fruit on it’s way out? Throw it in the freezer for smoothies. Tonight’s rescue will be oranges. When the sun decides to shine again, orange smoothies will sure taste awesome.
Those leftover veggies? Throw them in the freezer. Soon you will have enough to make a yummy and inexpensive vegetable soup.
One bowl of soup left that everyone is sick of eating 2 days later? Pour it in a pint size jar to freeze. Quick and easy lunch when there is nothing else to pack.
Don’t let leftovers go to waste! Rescue them from their impending demise. Ok. That is overtly dramatic. Go ahead…take a gander in your fridge now! Anything in there that can be saved?
Leftover creativity can become addictive.
Linked to Women Living Well Wednesday’s
great thoughts....you really are helping inspire me. I knocked 12.00 off our grocery bill this week....baby steps.
ReplyDeleteGreat post.. last week I listed 'leftovers' as one of the things on my Thankful List. Great tips!
ReplyDelete