Easter weekend is confusingly late this year. I am sure you have your own Easter holiday traditions. However, I thought I’d share some of what our Easter weekend entails. Due to time constraints my pictures are limited, but I know I have creative readers who can envision what I am suggesting.
Of course we paint eggs. I grew up painting eggs with q-tips. I assumed everyone did this until I found out that that everyone did not. That sentence just sounds far from genius. I use food dye. I mix 1/2 cup boiling water, 1/2 tsp of vinegar and as many drops of color as desired.
If you choose to use egg dying & decorating kits, I highly suggest buying them after Easter. You will pay a quarter of the cost and they will store fine until next year. I also have been able to find them at yard sales for only 10 cents.
If you have toddlers, I highly suggest this idea that I used for several years. Skip the paint. Instead use crayons. It is pure genious I tell ya. On a hot egg, the wax melts, but then quickly dries. Yes. I know. You are welcome.
Usually, we make some type of goodie. There are incredible ingenious ideas out there. This year my idea was simple. Mostly because it was spontaneous.
I created a bunny cake with a boxed cake mix and frosting.
I bought the cake mix and frosting at a surplus store for only 50 cents. The comical part is that it is orange frosting: Fall Party Chip. It’s all good. It is for the kids and they do not care. At. All.
To make a bunny cake, bake your cake in 2 round pans. One pan becomes the head. The other one you use to cut out ears. For decorations, I used what I had on hand. I raided the Easter candy my kids got at school. Perfect for eyes, nose and mouth. The ears were sprinkles left from valentines. The whiskers were spinach enriched spaghetti noodles. With that kind of mishmash cake, I highly suspect you could surprise your kids with one tonight.
{I love this picture. There is always one that does not want to participate.}
On Easter eve, we create resurrection rolls. It is a tradition my kids love. On Easter morning, we eat the resurrection rolls while again retelling the Easter story.
We also celebrate with Easter baskets. I keep mine very simple. Each child will get gum and a few pieces of chocolate. This year, I found Beanie Babies and books at the Salvation Army. Each basket will cost only $3.
Our most important and favorite tradition are using resurrection eggs. For one to two weeks before Easter, we use the eggs to tell the story of Christ’s death and resurrection. You can simplify the story for 2 year olds. The devotional included is wonderful for older children. If you do not own a set, I highly suggest you buy one.![]()
Of course our traditions includes a wonderful Sunday Easter service, time with family and egg hunts.
Traditions do not have to be complicated.
i love your 'fall chip
ReplyDeletebunny! and i totally know where you scored that icing :) i always am tempted to buy some everytime i pass it :)
Everything looks so fun and festive! Love the picture with the cake and the one who doesn't want to participate. So cute!
ReplyDelete